10 easy steps
Time: 20-30 minutes
1. Pick a song.
(This includes one you may have written. They don’t memorize themselves.)
2. Listen to it several times at one sitting, alone, with no distractions.
(This includes cats climbing curtains or mates manhandling the remote.)
3. Take the printed lyrics and sing them aloud all the way through, reading from the page.
(This is not cheating. You have some lines in your head but you don’t know them cold yet.)
4. Repeat, focusing on the first word of each stanza and the end-rhymes.
(This is the trick to jogging memory.)
5. Put the lyrics on a nearby table, and start singing the first verse without looking at the words.
(Nearby, so you can refer to it, but far enough away so that seeing them is a conscious step.)
6. Where you hesitate, peek at the words once, then start over.
7. Repeat, until you have the first verse down cold.
8. Do the same from verse to verse, starting over from the beginning each time.
9. Isolate the verses not quite committed to memory and sing them by themselves a few times.
10. Sing it!